APPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR 2020 YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
The Evansville Philharmonic’s Annual Young Artist Competition provides music students in the Tri-State area the opportunity to compete for cash awards and a solo performance opportunity with the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra.
DATE AND LOCATION
Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 2:00 PM
Victory Theatre, 600 Main St., Evansville, IN
Grand Prize: $1,000 cash award plus a solo appearance with the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra*
Conductor’s Award: $600 cash award
Orchestra Award: $300 cash award
Judges reserve the right to withhold any or all prizes if the standards of the Evansville Philharmonic are not met. Decisions of the judges will be announced at the end of the Competition and all decisions are final.
*Grand prize winner must be available to rehearse with the orchestra. Artist and repertoire is subject to the approval of the music director
Only advanced students should apply. Application does not guarantee acceptance into the competition.
- Participants must be currently enrolled in grades 6-12 in public, parochial, private, or home school. Age exceptions may be made at the discretion of the artistic staff.
- Participants must reside within a 125 mile radius of Evansville, IN as of January 26, 2020
- Participants must currently study with a private instructor. Evansville Philharmonic Staff may contact the instructor to confirm their approval of student’s application.
- The competition is open to all instrument divisions (woodwind, brass, percussion, string, harp and piano).
- Past Grand Prize winners are not eligible to compete the following year. They are eligible to compete after one competition year has passed, providing all other eligibility requirements are met.
Participants must perform one movement of a standard solo concerto from memory. Cuts will be permitted and performance time must not exceed eight minutes. If compositions other than the listed repertoire are to be performed, please contact the Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra office for approval. The Philharmonic reserves the right to approve or deny selected works. Three copies of the music must be provided for the judges. Photocopies are acceptable.
Questions? Please contact Director of Education Brian Onderdonk (mailto: [email protected]) 812-425-5050 ext. 316
GENERAL INFORMATION AND HOW TO APPLY
- Application form below must be submitted no later than January 20, 2020
- There is a $15 application fee that must be paid the day of the competition
- Participants must appear at the competition at their own expense.
- Participants must provide their own accompanist for the competition.
- Requests for specific audition times will be considered, but not guaranteed.
- Failure to appear at the assigned performance time will result in dismissal from the competition
- Winners will be selected by the judges. The decision of the judges is final and noncontestible. The competition reserves the right to withhold any award if, in the option of the judges, no participant qualifies.
- The competition is open to the public. There is no fee for audience members.